Saturday, December 7, 2013

Living with Christ Morning Prayer

Living with Christ Morning Prayer
December 7, 2013
St. Ambrose


At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them, because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.

Lord of Mercy,
How did you look out at the crowds that day,
and not feel overwhelmed by the needs you saw?

When I think of the troubles in my own family,
And multiply that by hidden troubles that I'm sure
are felt in every household around me,
and the households of everyone I know at work,
I gasp at the size of the mission of healing.

And all you had was a bunch of followers,
led by the twelve disciples.
And I've noticed how often in the gospels
you are frustrated by that motley group
and their failure to understand.

Lord, now I am your disciple,
No better than the Twelve, certainly,
but probably no worse.
Please help me to be a sign
of your presence to the world around me,
to feed hungers, to bring consolation
and to be a sign of hope,
no matter how imperfect a sign I might be.

Through Isaiah, I hear God saying:
"This is the way; walk in it."
Lord, help me to do so,
this day and every day,
so that the world will know that
"the Kingdom of heaven is at hand."
Amen.

For a prayer for today from St. Ambrose of Milan, see page 187 in the December issue of Living with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment