Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Living with Christ Morning Prayer

Living with Christ Morning Prayer
December 31, 2013


And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

Father, I remember hearing of
a rabbi who had trouble reading the Torah.
Every time he got to the words "God said...,"
he lapsed into stunned silence,
overwhelmed by the thought that
God would actually
speak to human beings.

In the same way, Lord,
when I hear this gospel,
how could I not be moved at the thought
that you not only speak to us,
but actually took
on our flesh and made
your dwelling among us?

How astounding! How marvelous!
Father, never again
do we have to wonder
what you are like,
for Jesus has revealed you to us.

I see you now, in him,
not only in the poor and hungry,
but in all who work to bring
compassion and help.

I see you now,
not only in the lonely,
the sorrowing,
and the sick,
but in all who work
to bring solace and healing.

I see you now,
not only in those suffering
from injustice and violence,
but in all who work for reconciliation and peace.

I see you now
in babies born, in a parent's care,
in a warm embrace,
in the joy of love, dancing, and laughter.

Praise be to God,
who dwells among us!
Amen.


For a prayer for today from St. John Eudes, see page 193 in the December issue of Living with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment