Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Living with Christ Morning Prayer

Living with Christ Morning Prayer
Tuesday, December 24, 2013


You will go before the Lord to prepare his way… 

Jesus,
this beautiful hymn, speaks of hopes fulfilled
and gives us reason for joy.

Except…
Are the people really set free?
Has God saved us from all who hate us?
What about all the people still living in darkness and fear?
What, really, has changed?

O Lord, our faith is filled with the paradox
of the already, and the not-yet:
You have conquered sin and death,
and yet sin and death abound.
The Kingdom is among us,
and yet we wait for its fullness.
You have come, and yet you will come again.

Jesus, help me to remember that
the promises of this hymn
are still being fulfilled,
and I am now part of the process.
Help me to hear “You, my child…”
as spoken not just to the infant John,
but to me, and to all I know.

Today, Jesus, we are the ones
who prepare your way,
give people knowledge of salvation,
and are called to be active signs of the tender
compassion of our God.

Jesus, here, on the eve of the great feast,
Help me to hear Zechariah speak directly to me,
and tomorrow may I be full of hope as I welcome you,
born anew in my heart.
Amen.

For a prayer for today from an 11th century hymn, see page 191 in the December issue of Living with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment