Saturday, December 21, 2013

Living with Christ Morning Prayer

Living with Christ Morning Prayer
December 21, 2013
St. Peter Canisius


Blessed are you!

Lord, Jesus,
there is genuine excitement
and joy in this gospel.
Mary sets out "in haste."
Elizabeth's baby leaps "for joy."
The Holy Spirit is ablaze,
and Elizabeth cries out, "Blessed are you!"

It's a beautiful scene, Lord,
But behind it, I'm sure, is stress.
Mary has traveled a long way.
Part of her "haste" was surely caused by knowing that
no one takes their time over bandit-plagued roads.
And does Joseph know yet?
If not, then surely Mary is thinking of what will await her
when she returns home visibly with child.

And Elizabeth-an old woman,
six months pregnant and years past
her normal childbearing age-
what stress she must feel
just getting up in the morning!

And yet, here in this gospel is pure, unbridled joy.

Lord, here we are a few days before Christmas,
and my stress level is high.
The feast is coming too fast,
I fear another Advent is slipping away.

Lord, help me to put myself into this story,
to feel the excitement and joy of Christmas.
Mary and Elizabeth, pray for me,
and help me see that everyone
I meet today is carrying Christ.
Help me in my words and actions
to say to them: "blessed are you!"
Amen.


For the O antiphon for today, see page 191 in the December issue of Living with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment