Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Friday Daily Blessings, December 16, 2011

My Friday Daily Blessings
 
Be still, quiet your heart and mind, the Lord is here loving you, talking to you.................
 
Friday of the Third Week of Advent (Roman Rite Calendar)

*First Reading: Is 56:1-3a, 6-8
  
Thus says the LORD:
Observe what is right, do what is just; for my salvation is about to come,
my justice, about to be revealed.
Blessed is the man who does this, the son of man who holds to it;
Who keeps the sabbath free from profanation, and his hand from any evildoing.
Let not the foreigner say, when he would join himself to the LORD,
"The LORD will surely exclude me from his people."

The foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, ministering to him,
Loving the name of the LORD, and becoming his servants--All who keep the sabbath free from profanation and hold to my covenant,
Them I will bring to my holy mountain and make joyful in my house of prayer;
Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be acceptable on my altar,
For my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.
Thus says the Lord GOD, who gathers the dispersed of Israel:
Others will I gather to him besides those already gathered.
 
*Responsorial Psalm: Ps 67:2-3, 5, 7-8
 
       "O God, let all the nations praise you!" 
 
*Gospel: Jn 5:33-36
 
Jesus said to the Jews:
"You sent emissaries to John, and he testified to the truth.
I do not accept testimony from a human being, but I say this so that you may be saved.
John was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you were content to rejoice in his light.
But I have testimony greater than John's.
The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me."
 
**Reflection:
 
Do you know what it's like to be on fire with God's love? Jesus describes John the Baptist as a "burning and shining lamp" who gave light to those around him. A lamp does not give light by itself. It must first be lit. John's message gave warmth because his heart was lit by the fire of God's love and truth. Just as natural light dispels the darkness and makes the way clear, so God's word brings light to dispel the spiritual darkness in our lives and to open the way to freedom and joy in God's kingdom. John's light pointed his hearers to the way of repentance and God.  His message echoes the words of the prophet Isaiah: "salvation and deliverance will come to those who keep justice and do righteousness" (Isaiah 65:1). The prophets saw from afar how God would send his "anointed one", the Messiah, to bring deliverance and freedom to those crushed by sin and oppression.  Jesus bears witness in his own person and in the mighty works which he performed that God's deliverance has truly come to those who accept him as Savior of Israel and Redeemer of humankind. The Lord Jesus gives us the fire of his Holy Spirit, not only to purify our hearts and minds, but to transform our lives into living torches of his saving love and mercy. Do you allow the light of God's truth and love to shine in your heart and mind?   
**Prayer:  
  
"Lord Jesus, let the fire of your love and truth burn in my heart that I may radiate the joy of the gospel to those around me."
AMEN.
 
Sources: 
 
The readings on this page are from the Jerusalem Bible, which is used at Mass in most of the English-speaking world.
 
*Lectionary for Mass for Use in the Dioceses of the United States, second typical edition, Copyright © 2001, 1998, 1997, 1986, 1970  Confraternity of Christian Doctrine; Psalm refrain © 1968, 1981, 1997, International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc. All rights reserved. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
 
**Don Schwager
 Author and Writer for  The Word Among Us
Member, Servants of the Word (c) 2006
Word Life Community 

No comments:

Post a Comment